Monday, October 10, 2005

The Truth Hurts...

Huh?: 7.7 <-- Be sure you read this!

Tony Campolo often begins his speeches this way: "I have three things I'd like to say today. First, while you were sleeping last night, 30,000 kids died of starvation or diseases related to malnutrition. Second, most of you don't give a shit. What's worse is that you're more upset with the fact that I said shit than the fact that 30,000 kids died last night." The world crisis changes, but the point doesn't.

We, in our anglo-saxon, middle class, white-picket-fence lives, have our priorities so incredibly messed up. It is far more upsetting to me that it is costing nearly $30 to fill the tank in our Geo Prism then that people in the villages in Alaska probably won't be able to afford the heating oil they'll need next year. I am far more passionate about a computer that won't work right than I am about the thousands of students at the high school down the street who don't know Jesus. I'll spend hours and days on things that are ultimately meaningless and then claim I don't have time to do anything eternally meaningful.

And then I'll read things like Sean's post, Tony's comment, and this blog. Nod my head in a dour, serious, as-if-I'm-cut-to-the-core way, agree fully, and then go watch the TV.

C'mon, you know you're doing the same thing.

By the way, did you happen to notice the cover of People Magazine for the week of September 12, 2005? It was a double issue - pictures of the horrors and devestation of Hurricane Katrina and their best and worst dressed. How's that for ironic?

No comments: