Monday, April 03, 2006

Sometimes a few words can change everything...

Isn't it interesting how a few words can result in an incredible "ah-ha!" moment? I just had one of those, as a result of these words:


Why blame the dark for being dark?
It's far more helpful to ask why the light isn't as bright as it should be.
- Rob Bell


These words can be found on the last page, oddly enough in the 'Last Word' feature, of the March-April 2006 issue of Relevant Magazine. Maybe they hit me so hard because I so often find myself pointing my finger in irritation or upset at the darkness of the world and brokenness of the people around me. Where is the grace that was shown me, that should be flowing through me to others? Where is the desire on my part to see others lifted up and glorified? Don't get me wrong - I'm more than willing to work for others to be lifted up and glorified, as long as I get some of the credit.

The reality is that the light in my life does not shine as brightly as it ought. So, perhaps instead of pointing my finger at the darkness, I should be pointing it at myself, asking, "Where is the light?"

No comments: