Wednesday, May 23, 2007

I raced the sun, and we tied ...and I hurt...

I raced the sun today, and we tied. Well, that's how I like to think about it anyway. I decided to go for a ride at about 7:45. Sunset was at 8:13. This ride takes me 47 minutes (11 miles) when I'm with Peter (in a trailer). My goal: finish the ride before dark. I made it...but it was close. Streetlights were on and cars were using headlights. Definitely late dusk. It was 8:30.

And for the first time on a bike ride in a very long time, I hurt. The transverse abdominis muscles got very sore over the last mile, and my quads were getting punchy. It was a good ride, although I probably pushed too hard throughout (a problem I seem to have...but that's another post). I increased my average speed by 2 mph compared to doing the ride with Peter (14.8 mph up to 16.8 mph) and I shaved 3 1/2 minutes off the time. I think if I had paced myself better, I could have broken 17 mph.

I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging or that I think I'm all that. I know I'm not. Perhaps I can express a bit more confidence once I can hammer the entire hill in Clydesdale Park in a big gear...even without Peter I still ended up in my granny gear (smallest chainring, biggest cog) - although not until after the halfway point.

The best part of the ride? The bike. There's a pic of it from a couple of years ago. It's a 1989 Bridgestone MB-2, one of the finest mountain bikes ever built. It's 26-ish pounds of chromoly niceness. It may be old school (may be? dude, it is so old school), but it is an incredible billy goat. Since the last 114 miles have been done pulling a 25 lb trail and a 28 lb 3-year old, I'd gotten used to a bike that pushed in turns, accelerated slowly and lagged on hills.

But that isn't the real nature of this bike. This bike is nimble, agile, incredibly fast and an absolute joy and delight to ride. A few years ago, I was offered more than the original retail price of the bike for the frame alone. I turned the offer down. I'll ride this bike until the frame rots away. I don't really think the frame is going to rot away...

I've never really expounded on my love of cycling...but I think this gives a bit of a hint.

No comments: