Saturday, January 29, 2005

Only One More Hurdle To Go!

Today I cleared the second-to-last hurdle before I can be ordained. WooHoo!

This morning I had "Final Assessment" with the Committee for Preparation for Ministry. If I passed (and, obviously, I did), then I would be approved to be examined on the floor of Presbytery. That examination would be the last hurdle I have to clear before I can be ordained, which will happen at the end of February. The end is in sight!

How did it go? It was absolutely one of the worst experiences of my life. So far, my meetings with the CPM had been fairly non-traumatic. This meeting, however, was everything I dreaded and feared in these meetings. No matter what I said or did, it was the wrong thing to say or do. There was absolutely no pleasing these people. Of course, they did approve me to be examined and to receive a call (which I already have, which is why I'm in Alaska), so I guess I did something right. I'm not going to go into details on the experience. Since I passed, I don't need to belabor it any more. I did that most all day today. It's probably time to let it go.

So now I turn my attention to helping my wife and son adapt to life in Alaska. We fly back on Monday. Additionally, I will being preparing for being examined at Presbytery at the end of the month. With some tweaking of my statement of faith, I should be able to avoid some of the annoyances of today. I won't be able to avoid everything, but I should be able to smooth out some rough spots. And, I don't think I'll have as hard of a time in Alaska as I did down here.

It's supposed to snow in Anchorage at the end of next week. That'll be nice.

1 comment:

David said...

Heh, that's funny! Getting above zero here is often cause for celebration...

Tevas? Nah, mostly because I only have one pair now. However, I'm still pretty big on wearing my Birkenstocks. I haven't worn my Chacos yet, but that's only because I can't wear them with socks.

There isn't snow in the forecast for this week any longer, but I'm hopeful some will come soon. I did, however, see Mt. McKinley (aka, Denali - the tallest peak in North America) yesterday. Did I mention it's over 200 miles away? Now that's cool.