Thursday, January 13, 2005

So...This is Alaska...

If there was any question in my mind before, there is absolutely no doubt now. This is Alaska. Yesterday the temperature never rose above 0 degrees farenheit, and today it snowed all day long. It is simply amazing. Each day I am overwhelmed by the wonder and beauty of this small portion of this magnificent state. I look forward to seeing more of Alaska in the coming months and years...and even more, I look forward to sharing this incredible place with my wife and son after they arrive.

Some news reached my ears from Florida today: One of the pastors at Covenant Presbyterian Church in Oviedo, FL (which meets at Reformed Theological Seminary, from which I graduated) died while preaching Sunday. Coincidentally, he was preaching on heaven and had just said "When I get to heaven..." You can read the news article about it here.

I also learned that one of my former professors, Dr. Ron Nash recently suffered a major stroke. I do not know the status of his condition, so please keep him and his family in your prayers.

It has been a busy week of learning names and how things work around the church. Trinity has an incredible spirit about it, and there is definitely a sense of excitement with the new pastoral staff coming on board. The new senior pastor, Rev. Tom Letts, and his family arrive later next week. I'm looking forward to meeting him and partnering with him and the church in ministering to Anchorage.

No comments: